Monday, November 2, 2009

There is Magic in...


Inspiration and magic comes in many forms,
it seems!
Even doing something we shouldn't...?

When I created a design a while back
during my abstract funky art stage,
of an awkwardly shaped character
it read, "Can't dance, don't care,
dancing anyways!"
not until, recently did I
have a chance to prove
the validity of that theory!

I think we should all
have at least one friend,
(and if we are lucky, more than one)
who makes us do things,
we didn't even know we wanted to do.
Like getting in a very tippy narrow canoe,
to ride the ocean waves for 12 miles,
all the while,
knowing you can't swim (well)
and really shouldn't be doing it at all!
Or snorkeling in deep
"I can't touch the bottom" water!
But, if we hadn't... we wouldn't have
glided with the turtles or
got wet or had that great ride
or any of the experiences of a lifetime
that occur in moments like those!

With so many challenges lately,
saying yes, to "new things"
has become a way to redirect my energy!

At our paddling clubs' birthday party,
this past summer,
someone knew all the moves to Thriller
and we all wanted to learn.
So when the newspaper announced last month,
there would be dance lessons for it
and then would be performed
on Halloween night...
my "you'll-love-paddling-in-the-ocean"
friend asked, "what do you think?"
I responded with "absolutely, lets do it!"

Course, wasn't so sure about that
for the following three weeks,
trying to just have fun...like Marlo,
the instructor said!

After the dress rehearsal performance
not only did the "FUN" happen
so did the MAGIC, she spoke of.
Course, I had been secretly hoping that
"the magic" would mean
someone else would miraculously
take over my feet and I would be
brilliant at all the moves...but, sigh!
(Not quite, not even close.)

We performed 6 times the night
before Halloween and seven that night.
A full moon came up over a main street
the crowd was ten deep and waiting
and cheering and applauding.
It was terrifically, exhilarating!!
Being zombies, we weren't suppose to smile
but it was hard not to!

The magic was in the energy,
in recconnecting with old friends
and making new ones,
(like, dancing next to the woman
who works at Safeway,
someone I always saw, but never knew.)
The music was magic,
the little kids were magic,
(who on the recorded version look amazing!)
The performance as a whole,
a big WOW dose of magic!
Watching Marlo,
make her hearts' dream happen
without a glitch or hitch,
while giving everyone an opportunity
to be a part of something large
and wonderful and successful.
...was magic!

(And maybe it is also in being inspired
to do something
that I CAN do well, like draw...
and create little Thriller Wild Women...
as a thank you gift!)

And there is magic in
the way we felt the next morning,
knowing we did something
we never dreamed possible
and although, I still "can't really dance
and I happen, to care that I can't...
(Finally, making less than five mistakes
by the last performance.)
...I tried!
And that too has magic!

As we float threw the following days
on this "thrilling" energy,
I am relieved,
when my friend reassures me,
that she isn't interested
in ever jumping out of an airplane
whew...!
cause, I am certain,
I would say NO to that!


Pam Piper Rain


Photo by "Eddorazzi"














1 comment:

Unknown said...

P, Your the smile on my face, "Eddorazzi" now that is funny. Not much of a writer myself but I definitely have you to inspire me. Hey, you write in Technicolor and that's a very good thing. E