Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Invitation

When I began to embrace the fact
that my house...
although silly and old (like me)
was of curiousness to fans and friends
and that they actually wanted
to come in...????
(I used to meet them outside.)
I looked around
and thought, what the hell,
and began to be more creative
with my space.

Then, this poem by Shel Silverstein
inspired me to write my own entry
way greeting...

If you are a dreamer, come in,
if you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar
a hoper, a prayer, a magic bean buyer...
If you are a pretender, come sit by my fire
for we have some flax-golden tales to spin
Come in!
come in!

Shel Silverstein

Invitation

If you are a believer...come in!
Want to have fun and be ten?

Do you believe in poetry on walls,
hula hoops, drums and african dolls
Want to pretend and play,
come in, for a magical stay?

Just ring the heart shaped doorbell
(unless your here with something to sell)
Oh-my house is silly and old,
a little bit like me, I suppose?

Its Alice in wonderland meets Dr. Suess,
Van Gogh and the Safari Circus let loose
Come in and see that stone people exist,
and so much more to being an artist.

Its an unruly jungle in the desert
with pinwheels, fountains and dirt.
A labyrinth walk and torches of light.
Fat cats and a dog who doesn't bite

If you still want to ride a swing
an adventure awaits, with a ring!
Welcome all pretenders who believe!
we have stories to tell and weave!

Pam Reinke

But why does Shel say so much
in just a few words and it takes
me so many to say the same???
Hmmm!

What's would your
invitation to come in say?

Pam Piper Rain

2 comments:

Creager Studios said...

Hi Pam... I really like the Doorbell idea...you need to get some weird and fun tunes for it to play when pushed...possibly a 'scream' like in the Adams Family! LOL.... Anyway, as a child we would visit artist/musican friends of my folks and what I have never forgotten about those visits to their home...was the wild and strange glass mosaic design the woman had done around the doorbell... even as a kid I thought WOW, she is giving me 'Art' and something wonderful to view before I even went into the house (of course the house was filled with mind blowing art) but that doorbell made an impression on me that I truly believe 'shaped my future' and guides me today... it was indeed an invitation to Wonderland...and I was very 'quick' to push and enter!!! I find it amazing that a simple idea and design can make such an impression...
Hugs,
Jodi

Karinfeuerstein said...

Hi Pam,
What a beautiful invitation and poem. Where I come from nobody rang the doorbell unless it was by appointment and invitation, they spoke of art and poetry but not as a fun way express ones self, Schiller and Goethe were read and not once did I think of it as fun and light, you put it beautifully.